Install macOS Catalina on VirtualBox Windows | macOS Catalina VirtualBox: As we all knew macOS Catalina 10.15 is released and it is one of the popular and best mac operating system versions. Everyone loves to try this out once. So if you don’t have any Apple Machine then don’t worry because in this article step by step I will show that how to install macOS Catalina on VirtualBox on Windows operating system.
Mac operating systems are best for professional and office use. You will see a huge difference between macOS and Windows operating systems. Apple mac provides quality to its consumers that why everyone loves apple computers like iMac and MacBook. But they are very expensive not everyone can buy Apple computers. So that’s why this is the best solution for those who don’t afford apple computers but want to use them. If you are one of them then you are in heaven because here I will show you how to install macOS Catalina on VirtualBox on Windows PCs. Without any other discussion let’s jump into it.
Contents in Post
- 1 Steps to Install macOS Catalina on VirtualBox on Windows
- 2 System Requirments to install macOS Catalina on VirtualBox
- 3 Important File to Download to Install macOS Catalina on VirtualBox
- 4 Step 1: Download macOS Catalina ISO
- 5 Step 2: Install VirtualBox on Windows PC
- 6 Step 3. Install and Update VirtualBox Extension
- 7 Step 4. Create a New Virtual Machin and Customize it
- 8 Step 5. Run VirtualBox Code Via Command Prompt
- 9 Step 6. Start the Virtual Machine
- 10 Step 7. Create macOS Catalina Bootable Disk
- 11 Step 8. Perform a Clean Installation of macOS Catalina
- 12 Fix Some Coman Errors
- 13 Final Words
Steps to Install macOS Catalina on VirtualBox on Windows
Installing macOS Catalina On VirtualBox on a Windows machine is somehow difficult. But don’t worry here we explain every single thing which you will face when you install macOS Catalina on VirtualBox. On the other hand, if you don’t get something clearly from this article or you have any questions regarding VirtualBox macOS installing kindly feel free to fill the comment box and ask anything you want I will reply as soon as possible. At the first attempt, it is somehow hard to install macOS on VirtualBox but if you try you will be able to install macOS Catalina on virtual successfully. Here I have made a quick summary for you.
- Download macOS Catalina ISO
- Install VirtualBox on Windows PC
- Install & Update VirtualBox Extension
- Create a New Virtual Machine & Customize it
- Run VirtualBox Code via Command Prompt
- Start the Virtual Machine
- Create macOS Catalina Bootable Disk
- Perform a Clean Installation of macOS Catalina
- Final Words
System Requirments to install macOS Catalina on VirtualBox
There are some system requirements to use Mac operating system on your computer. If your computer doesn’t meet the system requirements then there may be some problem for you when you install or use macOS Catalina on VirtualBox. The minimum system requirements I have mentioned below.
- Windows 7 64-bit Operating System or Latest
- 2GB Ram
- 20GB Free Storage on your Hard Derive
- 4GB for Better Perforamance
Remember these are minimum system requirements you can take these requirements too high for better performance. If you use SSD (Solid State Drive) in place of a Hard Drive it will be so beneficial for you. You will get the best experience and joy of macOS Catalina 10.15.
Important File to Download to Install macOS Catalina on VirtualBox
To complete the process of installing macOS Catalina on VirtualBox you should download some files and software like download macOS Catalina iso, macOS Catalina VirtualBox image, VirtualBox download, VirtualBox extension pack, and more. You will get all files to download the link below.
- VirtualBox 6.1.10 Setup (Direct Download)
- Download VirtualBox Code
- Download VirtualBox 6x Setup
- Download VirtualBox Extension
- Download macOS Catalina ISO Image
Step 1: Download macOS Catalina ISO
Step 2: Install VirtualBox on Windows PC
- Double click on VirtualBox setup on the welcome wizard click on Next
- On the second page keep the default setting on customizing setup page and click Next
- Click Next again to accept the default options unless you want to change something
- On the warning network interface page. just click Yes to proceed with VirtualBox installation
- Click on Install to install VirtualBox and again click Yes if required
- When the installation of VirtualBox is running you might have a warning window from “oracle corporation” just click install to proceed for installation of VirtualBox. it is necessary if you don’t click on the install button VirtualBox installation will be canceled. if this warning appears again please click on the Install button.
- At last, simply click Finish.
Step 3. Install and Update VirtualBox Extension
Installing VirtualBox extension is not that much important but we should install this extension because it can be a reason for the problem during the installation of macOS Catalina on VirtualBox. macOS Catalina may not sport the VirtualBox without this extension so kindly download and install the VirtualBox extension for smooth and bug-free installation. Click here for VirtualBox Extension to Download or you can download it from above in the Important Files to the Download section.
On the download page under VirtualBox 6.1.10 Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack section, Click All Sported Platfarams to download the latest version of VirtualBox Extension Pack.
When the download finished just follow the few simple steps to updated VirtualBox Extension Pack.
- First, open VirtualBox and navigate to Tools>Pereferences>Extensions
- Now click on the plus icon (+) and select VirtualBox Extensions which you have downloaded from the beginning of a section of this post. Click Install or Upgrade and then Agree to the term and conditions of VirtualBox and click on the OK button.
When you finished installing the VirtualBox Extension Pack successfully then you should see something like the screenshot below.
Step 4. Create a New Virtual Machin and Customize it
When you create a virtual machine to install macOS Catalina on VirtualBox it is the same as when you create a virtual machine for windows or a Linux operating system. Just you need to do some minor changes for macOS Catalina 10.15. In this article or post, I will show you the detailed in-depth process of making a virtual machine for macOS Catalina. Follow the steps below as it is.
- Just open your VirtualBox application and simply click on New.
- Click on the Expert Mod and just select the following option which is below and click Create.
- Type a suitable Virtual Machine Name as your wish.
- Virtual Machine Location (a separate drive is recommended for this step).
- Type (Mac OS X).
- Version (Mac OS X 64-bit).
- Memory 4 GB (recommended 8 GB or higher for better performance).
- Hard Disk: Select Create a virtual disk now.
- In the next step On the create virtual hard disk window screen, choose the following options which are mentioned below.
- Disk Location: The default location should be fine unless you want to change to a new location as your desire.
- File Size: You can specify the disk size here.
- Hard disk file type: Select VHD (Virtual Hard Disk) format for the next step.
- Storage on physical hard disk: Select the Dynamically allocated option. However, if you want to have a better performance disk then choose a fixed disk. Fixed disk, will allocate the specified size from your host machine immediately. You can read more about the dynamic vs fixed-size disk.
- Now is the time when you should edit the virtual machine to make it works. Select macOS Catalina VM and click on Settings. Now make some changes to macOS Catalina VM which is below.
- Below System>Motherboard, increase the Base Memory to 12281MB. Either you can use less memory if your computer doesn’t have this much Ram.
- Now uncheck the Floppy from the Boot Order section.
- Under the Processor Tab just increase the processor to 4 or higher according to your computer performance.
- In this step on the Display window, increase the Video Memory to 128MB.
- Now from the Storage section, click on the Empty>DVD icon, Click on choose a Disk File. You should select the macOS Catalina ISO which you have downloaded from the “Required Files Section” which is above. At last click Ok to close the macOS Catalina settings window.
Step 5. Run VirtualBox Code Via Command Prompt
When you have Created and Customized your Virtual Machine, Now it is time to run some codes to install macOS Catalina on VirtualBox.
First, you should notice and remember your virtual machine name because we will use it later on. Open the VirtualBox Code which you should have downloaded from the “Required Files Section” which is above. If you have not downloaded the code don’t be worry you can use the code from here.
Important Note: Before, you execute the code into the command prompt. You should read and follow the following steps below.
|cd “C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\”
VBoxManage.exe modifyvm “VM Name” –cpuidset 00000001 000106e5 00100800 0098e3fd bfebfbff
VBoxManage setextradata “VM Name” “VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemProduct” “iMac19,1”
VBoxManage setextradata “VM Name” “VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemVersion” “1.0”
VBoxManage setextradata “VM Name” “VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiBoardProduct” “Mac-AA95B1DDAB278B95”
VBoxManage setextradata “VM Name” “VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/DeviceKey” “ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal(c)AppleComputerInc”
VBoxManage setextradata “VM Name” “VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/GetKeyFromRealSMC” 1
- First, when you open the VirtualBox Code with notepad or any other text editor, Use the replace function of the text application to Replace the “VM Name” with your virtual machine name. See the screenshot below to get some idea that how to replace it.
- At this you have two chose. First, if you want to fix your macOS Catalina screen resolution in the first place. You should also execute the following Code. You have to change your “VM Name” with your virtual machine name and HxV with screen resolution such as “1280×720“.
|VBoxManage setextradata “VM Name” VBoxInternal2/EfiGraphicsResolution HxV|
Important Note: I highly recommend you to quiet the Virtual Box Application before executing the code. If you don’t do it you might have problems when your install macOS Catalina on VirtualBox after this or your virtual machine might not be procced for installation.
- Now once you have replaced the “VM Name” with your Virtual Machine name, then run the code one by one via command prompt(CMD). You can open the command prompt with a shortcut Windows+X key on Windows 10 and select the command prompt from the last. Or simply you can press the Windows key and type CMD, click Run as Administrator and click yes.
Step 6. Start the Virtual Machine
In the old mac operating system starting macOS Catalina was a little bit different, but now with the new macOS Catalina is easy to set up at the first time.
- Now open the VirtualBox Application and click on the start button. You will see a black screen with some yellow and white text on it.
- At first, when you start your virtual machine, you might have to choose which ISO to select. If you have attached only one ISo image file. You probably not see the window below. At this point just make sure you use the right macOS Catalina ISO Image.
Step 7. Create macOS Catalina Bootable Disk
Now we are very close to installing macOS Catalina on VirtualBox on Windows and we are almost at the last steps. Just be passionate and trust the process.
- Now first when you start your Virtual Machin (VM) you will see a bunch of different codes on your screen but you should not be worried about it, it is part of the process. Wait for few seconds and you should see the macOS Catalina language windows on your screen. Simply select your language and click Continue.
- At this step, you will see the macOS Utility window. From the list, just select Disk Utility and click Continue.
- Select your main VHD Disk and click the Erase button. Now choose the following options and again click Erase.
- Name: Catalina Disk or (you can type any name you want)
- Format: APFS or (if you face any error, select Mac OS X Extended Journaled)
- Scheme: Guide Partition MAP
- Now just Close the Disk Utility window.
- At this point from macOS disk utilities, select Install macOS and click continue.
- Click Continue on install macOS Catalina screen.
- Now click on Agree to the macOS Catalina license agreement.
- Select macOS Catalina Disk and click install.
- Now, just wait for 3 minutes and your Virtual Machine will restart. macOS Catalina will be installed on your disk. Now, you should not do anything. You will see another 29 minutes installation window and you should wait for it.
Step 8. Perform a Clean Installation of macOS Catalina
Now once you have passed Step #7 without any technical error, you will see the macOS Catalina Welcome window. Simply select the following options that we have mentioned below. You have the ability to change most of the settings later, So don’t be worry about it.
- Simply select your Country and click Continue.
- Now choose the Keyboard Layout and click Continue. If you are not comfortable with default settings then you can change the settings as your desire.
- On the “Data and Privacy” window click Continue.
- Here select Don’t Transfer any Information Now.
- Click on Setup Later and click on Don’t Sign in. Click Skip, you add your Apple ID later.
- Click Agree to the term and conditions and click Continue.
- Just fill out the Full Name, Account Name, Password, and Hint then click Continue.
- If you want to customize the Express Setup, you can click on customize settings otherwise click Continue.
- Here on the Analytics window simply click Continue.
- On-screen time click Setup Later.
- At this point do not set up Siri for now, just skip it.
- Select an appearance theme and click Continue. Choose your desire dark mood, light mood, or auto mood.
- Now, wait for a few seconds that your macOS should be set up.
- Here Close feedback assistant for now and a close mouse and keyboard layout.
Now if you are at this step without any error or problem then congratulations you have successfully installed macOS Catalina on VirtualBox on Windows using the macOS Catalina 10.15 ISO Image.
Fix Some Coman Errors
This issue regarding B|#LOG:EXITBS:START] (AND CURRENT DATE/TIME)”. Use the command below and this issue will be solved out.
|VBoxManage modifyvm “VM Name” –cpu-profile “Intel Xeon X5482 3.20GHz”|
So you might have some common errors while when you install macOS Catalina on VirtualBox on Windows, So kindly comment down below your errors or any other problems related to this post. I love to help you out.
There are some questions which are always asked by us. I would like to add these questions to this post. if you are not interested in these questions and answers then you can skip this.
Can you install macOS in VirtualBox?
Yes, anyone can install macOS in VirtualBox for educational purposes or only for testing because at the stating of this post I have clearly mentioned that using macOS on the windows operating system through VirtualBox is against the Apple Inc term and conditions. They clearly mentioned that they don’t want to allow anyone to macOS on any other machine.
Does VirtualBox work on Mac OS Catalina?
The answer is yes occurs, VirtualBox can run macOS Catalina without any problem. At the start, you may face some errors but you can resolve them easily with simple steps.
Can you update Mac OS on VirtualBox?
Everyone has this question on their mind when they install macOS Catalina on VirtualBox on Windows. They want to know that can they update the macOS version on VirtualBox? if you are one of them who has this question in mind, Then I want to say that No. You cant update the macOS version on VirtualBox, you need to reinstall the latest version of macOS in order to use it. In the future might, it will be possible but at this time it is not possible.
So at the end of this post, I provide you a detailed guide that how to Install macOS Catalina on VirtualBox Windows |macOS Catalina VirtualBox. After reading and following the full guide now you should be able to do the following tasks below.
- Download macOS Catalina ISO
- Install VirtualBox on Windows
- Installed & upgraded VirtualBox extension
- Created a new virtual machine for macOS Catalina
- Customized macOS Catalina VM
- Executed the VirtualBox code via CMD
- Start the Virtual Machine
- Create macOS Catalina Bootable Disk
- And finally performed a clean installation of macOS Catalina.
I and my team are always ready to help you out and receive your feedback on this article or on another post on www.VirtualBoxGuide.com. Your Feedback Suggestions are highly appreciated.
So if this article or post helped you out please share this post with your friends and family to help them. Finally thanks for visiting our website.
install macos catalina on virtualbox, macos catalina virtualbox, virtualbox macos catalina, macos catalina virtualbox, macos catalina virtualbox, download macOS Catalina iso, virtualbox boot image by geekrar, install macOS Catalina on VirtualBox on mac, How do I upgrade to Catalina on VirtualBox?